the vegan fork: Union Square Farmers' Market

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Union Square Farmers' Market

Visit date: January 21, 2006, morning

This is one of the best things about Saturdays in the city. It's January, so there's not nearly as much produce available at the market as there is throughout the spring and summer, but it's still worth the weekly trip.

There are lots of apples there now. This picture is of pink lady apples. I didn't buy these...I bought from a smaller vendor who's always very friendly and liberal with samples and freebies, but I thought this picture was the prettiest.




I love the colorful varieties of potatoes. I didn't buy any today because I'm still making my way through the surplus I discovered in my cabinet, apparently due to over-buying in previous weeks.

There's a stand that sells flavored tofu, among other things. I've never tried or purchased the tofu...it always just looks greasy to me, but it's probably good because they're always there selling it. The picture is of the samples.

And here's the highlight. This is the whole reason I'm posting this. The vegan carrot raisin walnut cookies. I've had these before, and they're delicious. They're heavy on the carrot, and you can taste the maple syrup in them. They're a soft cake-like cookie. Really, with the carrots, raisins, walnuts, and whole wheat flour, you can kind of convince yourself that they're not a dessert cookie...more like a "health cookie." Good for snacks...and breakfast? And they're big enough to munch on all day, or over a couple of days.

This stand is at the market on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and they claim to always have the vegan cookies. They're $2.25 each.

I was kind of disappointed with the picture since the plastic wrap prevents a good view of the cookies themselves, so I was forced to buy one. Here it is on my kitchen counter. I'm playing with the macro mode on my camera. Oh, and while playing with the macro mode, I discovered that the camera actually has a "food mode," designed to "take appetizing pictures of prepared food." Yeah. How silly is that? I mean, I'm using it of course, in case it makes the cookie look more appetizing...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had one of these today and as soon as I came home, I googled "union square farmer's market carrot walnut cookie" - I just knew there had to be something written up on these in cyberspace!! I'm not even vegan and these blew me away. Love the abundance of ingredients, and the fact that even though they're cake-like, they're still slightly chewy (not crumbly).

May 13, 2006, 7:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home