the vegan fork: Gobo

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Gobo

Gobo is a veg restaurant (almost all vegan, I think) in the West Village (with a second location on the UES). The place has a very modern clean-feeling atmosphere. Many of their dishes are similar to Zen Palate's (but better!), but it's also a little pricier. Unlike Zen Palate, Gobo serves alcohol (just wine and beer), which will make me choose Gobo over Zen Palate any day. Oh, and another plus to Gobo? They have bubble tea! It's pretty good, too, but they often run out of tapioca late in the day, so you can't always count on it.

I went there the other night with a group of people, mostly non-vegetarians. I was pretty worried that the food would be too "weird" for them, with the menu full of seitan, soy protein, tofu, and, you know, vegetables. But everyone seemed to really enjoy their food. I was very relieved!

I had the "soy filet with coconut curry rice." That consisted of pieces of soy protein sauteed with veggies (bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli) with some sort of savory sauce. The coconut curry rice came in a cone-shape wrapped in a leaf of some sort (banana maybe?). The cone stood straight up on my plate, and although I remember being very excited about the presentation, I wasn't careful enough to get the whole cone in the picture...but you get the idea.


My food was delicious, and as I said, everyone else really enjoyed theirs as well. The only disappointment was at the end when we all tried to order bubble tea and they told us they were out of tapioca...

Edited to add: Gobo also has the best yam fries I've ever had!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No reviews of Seattle food? We, as a city, feel snubbed.

You should mail me some fries next time you go to Gobo.

Jul 17, 2006, 5:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is by far, my favorite dish at gobo...
however getting the rice out of the cone has been an experience everytime i go.

Aug 18, 2006, 1:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home