the vegan fork: Candle 79

Monday, May 28, 2007

Candle 79

I went to Candle 79 for lunch. The menu had so many super-yummy sounding dishes on it...risotto primavera, morel crusted tempeh, and many others. I didn't want a lot of food, though, so I thought it would be safest to go with a sandwich. I ordered the black bean pumpkin seed burger. It had caramelized onions on it and came with a salad with avocado and some polenta fries. However, it was a lot of food.

Black bean burger


The burger was delicious, but it was very big, and, being made mostly of beans, squishy. That means it kept squishing out the sides of the bun, making it difficult to eat. Yummy, though, but maybe better suited to miniature patties (as an appetizer served with salsa?) instead of in a roll? The roll was delicious, by the way.

The polenta fries were incredible. Crunchy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside, and lightly seasoned. The salad was also good, with the avocado being the perfect accompaniment.

Like I said, though, it was a lot of food. It left me pretty full...maybe too full. I also tried a bite of the BBQ Seitan sandwich, and it was delicious, too. The restaurant was very nice....soothing colors, calm environment, very clean and pretty. It was a lot of fun to go there, and I understand why so many people like it, but I wish it weren't so inconveniently located relative to me (Upper East Side). It works great paired with a trip to the Met, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home